Below is a chronologically sorted selection of the Johnson Lab’s publications. Use the sidebar to the right to view only publications that concern specific research topics. The abstract for each publication is included, as well as a PubMed link and a DOI link to the journal where the publication may be found in its entirety.
- 2021-08-21 01:26 The dynamic regulation of appetitive behavior through lateral hypothalamic orexin and melanin concentrating hormone expressing cells
In: Physiology and Behavior PMID: PMC8041470 DOI: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2020.113234 Abstract: The lateral hypothalamic area (LHA) is a heterogeneous brain structure extensively studied for its potent role in regulating energy balance. The anatomical and molecular diversity of the LHA permits the orchestration …More?
- 2021-04-29 17:13 Disruptions in effort-based decision-making following acute optogenetic stimulation of ventral tegmental area dopamine cells
In: Learning & Memory PMID: 33723029 DOI: 10.1101/lm.053082.120 Abstract: The dopamine system has been implicated in decision-making particularly when associated with effortful behavior. We examined acute optogenetic stimulation of dopamine cells in the ventral tegmental area (VTA) as mice engaged in …More?
In: Physiology PMID: 31799907 DOI: 10.1152/physiol.00013.2019 Abstract: Ovarian hormones are associated with risk for binge eating in women. Recent animal and human studies suggest that food-related reward processing may be one set of neurobiological factors that contribute to these relationships, …More?
- 2019-10-29 01:43 Hypothalamus-hippocampus circuitry regulates impulsivity via melanin-concentrating hormone
In: Nature Communications PMID: 31664021 DOI: 10.1038/s41467-019-12895-y Abstract: Behavioral impulsivity is common in various psychiatric and metabolic disorders. Here we identify a hypothalamus to telencephalon neural pathway for regulating impulsivity involving communication from melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH)-expressing lateral hypothalamic neurons to …More?
- 2019-05-31 17:00 Assessing Reality Testing in Mice Through Dopamine-Dependent Associatively Evoked Processing of Absent Gustatory Stimuli
In: Schizophrenia Bulletin PMID: 31150554 DOI: 10.1093/schbul/sbz043 Abstract: Impairments in reality testing are core features of numerous neuropsychiatric conditions. However, relatively few animal models have been developed to assess this critical facet of neuropsychiatric illness, thus impeding our understanding of …More?
- 2019-03-08 16:57 Reduced sensitivity to devaluation for instrumental but not consummatory behaviors in binge eating prone rats
In: Physiology & Behavior PMID: 30858100 DOI: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2019.03.005 Abstract: Binge eating is characterized by the consumption of a large amount of palatable food in a short period of time and is a core feature of many eating disorders. Patients with …More?
- 2018-12-07 18:18 A Whole Methylome Study of Ethanol Exposure in Brain and Blood: An Exploration of the Utility of Peripheral Blood as Proxy Tissue for Brain in Alcohol Methylation Studies
In: Alcoholism Clinical & Experimental Research PMID: 30320886 DOI: 10.1111/acer.13905 ABSTRACT BACKGROUND: Recent reviews have highlighted the potential use of blood-based methylation biomarkers as diagnostic and prognostic tools of current and future alcohol use and addiction. Due to the substantial …More?
- 2018-02-01 17:04 Examining the influence of CS duration and US density on cue-potentiated feeding through analyses of licking microstructure
In: Learning and Motivation PMID: 30082927 DOI: 10.1016/j.lmot.2017.07.001 Abstract: In the current study, groups of mice were trained with either short (20 s) or long (120 s) conditioned stimulus (CS) durations associated with different rates of sucrose unconditioned stimulus (US) …More?
- 2017-07-03 17:10 Characterizing ingestive behavior through licking microstructure: Underlying neurobiology and its use in the study of obesity in animal models
In: International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience PMID: 28684308 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2017.06.012 Abstract: Ingestive behavior is controlled by multiple distinct peripheral and central physiological mechanisms that ultimately determine whether a particular food should be accepted or avoided. As rodents consume a fluid …More?
- 2016-10-27 17:37 Disruptions in effort-based decision-making and consummatory behavior following antagonism of the dopamine D2 receptor
In: Behavioural Brain Research PMID: 27984049 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbr.2016.10.043 Abstract: Dopamine is known to influence motivational processes, however the precise role of this neurotransmitter remains a contentious issue. In the current study we sought to further characterize dopamine signaling in reward-based …More?
- 2016-04-15 15:44 The antagonism of ghrelin alters the appetitive response to learned cues associated with food.
In: Behavioural Brain Research PMID: 26802728 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbr.2016.01.040 Abstract: The rapid increase in obesity may be partly mediated by an increase in the exposure to cues for food. Food-paired cues play a role in food procurement and intake under conditions …More?
- 2015-12-01 22:53 Deletion of Melanin Concentrating Hormone Receptor-1 disrupts overeating in the presence of food cues
In: Physiology & Behavior PMID: 26048303 DOI: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.05.037 Abstract: Exposure to environmental cues associated with food can evoke eating behavior in the absence of hunger. This capacity for reward cues to promote feeding behaviors under sated conditions can be examined in …More?
- 2013-07-06 20:01 Cognitive and motivational deficits together with prefrontal oxidative stress in a mouse model for neuropsychiatric illness.
In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America PMID:23840059 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1307925110 Abstract: Guided by features of molecular, cellular, and circuit dysfunction affecting the prefrontal cortex in clinical investigations, we targeted prefrontal cortex in studies …More?
In: Trends in Neurosciences PMID: 23333343 DOI: 10.1016/j.tins.2013.01.002 Abstract: Animals use current, past, and projected future states of the organism and the world in a finely tuned system to control ingestion. They must not only deal effectively with current nutrient …More?